Emirates Formula 1 70ᵗʰ Anniversary Grand Prix 2020 - Race
- Red Bull driver Max Verstappen’s masterful tyre strategy helped him win the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix from fourth on the grid. He was the only one of the top 10 on the grid to start on the hard tyre, and used their durability to run a longer first stint, which allowed him to move into the lead and then defend his advantage.
- Verstappen used a hard-medium-hard strategy, one of only two drivers to do so (the other was McLaren’s Carlos Sainz). Verstappen finished ahead of both Mercedes, which started from first and second on the grid, and used a similar medium-hard-hard strategy.
- Nearly all the drivers stopped twice, but Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc stopped just once to move from eighth on the grid to fourth at the finish. Renault’s Esteban Ocon was the only other driver to finish in the top 10 with just one stop. Both Leclerc and Ocon started on medium and then went on to hard.
- Four drivers stopped three times, with 19 drivers out of 20 finishing the race.
- Temperatures were slightly warmer than yesterday, with track temperatures in excess of 40 degrees centigrade throughout the race and a tyre nomination that was one step softer than last week’s British Grand Prix.
|BEST TIME BY COMPOUND|
|LONGEST STINT OF THE RACE|
|PIT STOP SUMMARY|
|CAR||DRIVER||START||PIT 1||PIT 2||PIT 3|
|33||VER||C2u||C3n (26)||C2n (32)|
|44||HAM||C3u||C2n (14)||C2n (41)|
|77||BOT||C3u||C2n (13)||C2n (32)|
|23||ALB||C3u||C2n (6)||C2n (30)|
|18||STR||C3u||C2n (18)||C2n (31)|
|27||HUL||C3u||C2n (15)||C2n (30)||C4u (44)|
|4||NOR||C3u||C2n (12)||C2n (29)|
|26||KVY||C2n||C2n (19)||C3n (35)|
|10||GAS||C3u||C2n (7)||C2n (23)|
|5||VET||C2u||C2n (22)||C3u (33)|
|55||SAI||C2n||C3u (22)||C2n (34)|
|3||RIC||C3u||C3u (14)||C2n (26)||C3u (35)|
|8||GRO||C3u||C2u (17)||C2n (38)|
|88||GIO||C3n||C2n (7)||C3u (33)|
|63||RUS||C3n||C2n (8)||C2n (24)||C3u (39)|
|6||LAT||C3n||C2n (9)||C2n (26)||C3n (46)|
|10||MAG||C3n||C2u (9)||C2n (20)|
C2 = Hard C2 | C3 = Medium C3 | C4 = Soft C4
n = new | u = used